Hampton Roads – the area encompassing the cities of Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, and Chesapeake – has a long and rich history dating back to the founding of Jamestown. Over the centuries the population has grown and along the way the community built waterways and railroads, and later malls and battleships.
Recently there’s been a surge in entrepreneurial activity including events such as Start Peninsula, accelerators like Hatch, 1000Four, and the ODU Center for Enterprise Innovation, as well as entrepreneurial communities such as the Entrepreneurial Organization.
With all the entrepreneurialism in one area, much of what’s been built in the past few years hasn’t been been in the physical realm. Instead the software and digital industry is booming. With events like RevolutionConf and HRDevFest, software developers and software development companies abound.
Hampton Roads is Array Digital’s local community. Although we serve the business community here and have for years, from time to time our clients want to know who some other software companies in the area are. With our continued effort to educate clients, below we are sharing information about several other software companies you may want to consider as you’re researching software companies to hire.
- Grow: Located in downtown Norfolk, Grow is a well known and well respected company that’s been around for many years. They partner with larger advertising companies – think Google – with their digital advertising needs.
- InnovaSystems: Focusing on military readiness, InnovaSystems has several contract vehicles and a wealth of experience servicing those who serve their country.
- Marathon Consulting: They provide staff augmentation services for large companies in the area. They also provide IT services and software development.
- Prosoft: Founded in 1984, they have a long history spanning 30 years. They provide program management, networking, as well as software services mostly to the military.
- TechArk: Initially doing all of their coding in India, TechArk now has an office in downtown Norfolk. Their local and Indian staff together produce websites for small businesses.
- Yellow Dog Software: Specializing in integrating their proprietary inventory management product with various point of sale (POS) systems, their product helps with purchase orders, receipts, invoices, transfers, and more.
- 360IT Partners: Mainly an IT infrastructure and managed IT services company, they coordinate websites with their web design partner company, Pronto Marketing, who has offices in Seattle and Bangkok.
There are several companies to research as you conduct your due diligence for software development companies. We can’t exactly say that they are the “best” in Hampton Roads, but they do have a history in the community and should be considered.
As part of your research, you may want to take a look at some of these great resources:
- COTS vs. Custom Software
- In-house or Hire it Out?
- Hiring a New Software Company
- Intellectual Property Protection For Software
Finally, if you’d like to continue your research over the phone or email, reach out and let’s talk about your project.