Any article that you’ve read about digital marketing will tell you that you need to be consistently creating content. They’ll also tell you to drive traffic to your site through social media marketing and search engine optimization. Although time-consuming and not always straight forward, these are must-have strategies. But prior to driving extensive amounts of traffic to your website through the multitude of digital marketing tools you’ve heard about in the past, you must also follow the below strategies to make sure your site is set up to convert visitors into leads. Otherwise, you drive prospects to your website and they won’t be able to easily figure out what to do next.
How to Increase Website Visits
To get more organic traffic on your website, follow these tips:
Write “listicle” articles
There’s a reason websites like Buzzfeed do so well and constantly show up on page one of the search results. They write highly searchable articles with titles like “11 Bizarre Places In The US That You Need To Know About.” Now when users are searching for destinations in the US for their next vacation, they can’t help but be tempted by that title and click on it for inspiration. Take a page from their book and compile lists that will place you as the expert on the topic of your product or service and then include relevant links to other pages on your website like the product pages, for example.
Get the best Speed for your Website
Get the site to load as quickly as possible so that the user can see the page easily. This is also beneficial for Google robots that give more importance to your page. Users have shorter attention spans than ever before. If your website isn’t loading within seconds, they are going to get tired of waiting for it and click out of the site altogether.
Focus on making your website mobile-responsive
Create a mobile version of your website, so that visitors can enter from their devices, an increasingly common medium. Take into consideration that more searches are made through mobile devices than desktop meaning you should design for mobile-first.
Help users navigate around your site
Once you get users on your website organically, you want to keep them there. That means creating relevant content and making it easily accessible. Interlinking among the pages and posts on your website will not only help users to navigate around your site but it will also boost your site’s SEO value because it will register to Google that not only are these links useful but it will also show a lower bounce rate on the site.
How to Convert Website Visits into Sales
Now that you are receiving more visits monthly on your online store or website, it is time to convert as many visitors into sales of your products or services as possible, with the following tips:
Analyze the online presence of the competition
Head over to other competing online stores and look at the structure of their websites, the type of offers they promote, and the type of ads they use to make calls to action. You can then use this research as an example for your own work.
Develop an email list
Creating a piece of gated content – content that requires users to enter an email address or some other piece of information that will allow for later communications – is a great way to help you develop an email list. An email list is invaluable in developing your business and a solid customer base because it ensures that you are staying at the top of your potential customers’ minds by sending them valuable information periodically.
Check that you are not penalized
Beware of duplicate content. Online stores often have this problem, which is one of the most common reasons to be penalized by Google. Make sure that you are not duplicating any part of your text, not only from product to product but also from the manufacturer of the product that you are selling. For example, if you have duplicate metadata that is generic and used across different product pages, Google will penalize you making sure that your website shows up lower in search results.
Optimize and facilitate the payments methods
Your website needs to offer different payment options. It is not enough to simply offer a PayPal option. There are different payment platforms and each of them has different commissions. Evaluate the options that best suit your company, such as those that charge lower commissions, have multiple ways to withdraw money, etc.
What if receiving the product in my house is not what I expected? Will the company refund my money? The answer should always be YES. It is the only way to build trust with the buyer. If the customer knows that you have enough confidence to offer a guarantee on your product, they will be more willing to invest.
Conversion Rate Optimization Strategies:
- Have a clear goal in mind for what your website is going to accomplish for your business (leads, product sales, newsletter subscriptions, etc.)
- Narrowly define your target audience and speak to them throughout your copy, branding, videos, and images
- Remove items on your site that create uncertainty or distraction
- Fix broken links and add internal links throughout the article to ensure seamless navigation
- Reduce the number of options in the menus
- Make web forms more accessible and as easy as possible for visitors to submit by placing them above the fold and including as few fields as possible
- Make the company phone number and email address prominently visible
- Improve call-to-actions throughout the site with tangible action verbs and phrases that create a sense of urgency (brainstorm 10 possibilities before choosing one)
- Ensure that the value proposition for submitting your form is very apparent and in line with what your customers are searching for (“Contact Us” contains no elusive benefit)
- Avoid clutter and use directional cues (your homepage is your online storefront and visitors should have a clear understanding of what you want them to do next)
- Define how your product will help the visitor solve their problem (listing product features isn’t enough)
- Add testimonials to service/product pages to prove your credibility
- Constantly make gradual adjustments by A/B split testing (there is no right button color)
All digital marketing efforts should have a concrete goal that will yield a return on investment. Don’t spend time driving traffic to a website that will not result in visitors spending money. These conversion rate optimization strategies will lower your website’s bounce rate, increase the average time on the site, and help to convert visitors into customers.