Mental health is tough to guard these days, especially working in social media. Our Social Media Manager Shannon touches on the tough topics flooding our feeds & gives advice on how can we not be drowned by the darkness while still staying informed.
Here’s her tips:
1) Don’t check your phone in the AM & set a screen limit – create pockets in your day where you don’t look at your phone, and don’t start your day with scrolling through the feeds.
2) Daily routines – Instead of turning to your phone right when you wake up, do something to set your mind right first thing when you wake up.
3) Keep your phone away from you while working – If everything is accessible on your computer & you’re able, keep your phone a few feet away or even in another room if you have no important phone calls potentially coming through.
4) Extensions to block distractions – It’s easy to get lost in the scroll from time-to-time, even in a regular news cycle. Shannon’s favorite distraction-blocker is News Feed Eradicator for Chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/news-feed-eradicator-for/fjcldmjmjhkklehbacihaiopjklihlgg?hl=en
5) Focus on the positives – There’s always going to be bad news of course, but there’s good news, too.
So if you’re working in social media like Shannon, remember when to stop working! Keep pockets of your day screen-free, don’t get lost in the scroll, and be optimistic.